Sunday, January 16, 2011

Homemade Granola

Well I not eaten much Granola in the past and when I think about buying it it is pricey! So I figure it has to be cheaper to make the stuff myself and then I can add what I want!
This is the second time I've made Granola and the first time it was Yummy to but not as sweet~ I'll post that recipe too. I did have grand illusions that there would be these big hunks of Granola that I could grab but with the first batch since there wasn't much holding the stuff together it was more crumbly but frankly I could care less. This batch however has bigger hunks! must be the brown sugar!

5 Cups of Oats (pretty sure this is a must and the base of the recipe)
1 Cup chopped nuts
1/2 Cup Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup Coconut
1/2 Cup Dried Pomegranate 
1/3 Cup Ground Flax Seed

Now keep in mind I am winging this recipe and you can change out anything except the Oats.
I would normally put my own dried fruit in the mix but didn't have any on hand to dry.


Now for the bonding stuff
3/4 Cup melted butter~ I make my own butter
3/4 Cup Brown Sugar
1/2 Cup Honey (all I had was whipped Honey)
1/3 Cup Oil 
Almost forgot 1 tsp Vanilla & 1 tsp Cinnamon 

Mix it all together~ this takes a bit because of the honey and it's not super wet.


Once mixed spread out on a cookie sheet or if you have a dehydrator then on a fruit mat so the granola does fall thru the trays. I dehydrated my at 120 degrees for 10 hours. You can use the stove on the lowest setting for less time since I don't believe a stove goes down to 120.  Just keep checking it.


This Granola is Sweet.

If you don't was a Sweet Granola then I suggest this recipe (this was the first one I tried)

Mix:
1/2 Cup Honey
1/2 Cup hot water
1/2 Cup Oil
2 tsp Vanilla

Pour it over:
4-5 Cups of Oats 

Then add:
1 Cup of Chopped Nuts
1 Cup Flax Seed
1 Cup Coconut (didn't use this the first time)
3/4 Cup dried Fruit (I used Banana's & Strawberries)
3/4 Cup Wheat Germ

again I just used what I had and liked.
Mix up and Dry.



No comments:

Post a Comment